ICBO 2021 Call for Papers
The International Conference on Biomedical and Biological Ontologies (ICBO) is a premier annual conference series that brings together researchers, students and professionals involved in the development and application of ontologies, knowledge graphs and semantic technologies in all areas of scientific research throughout the life and social sciences, including biology, medicine, diseases, human health, genome biology, human behaviour, environment, biomes, nutrition, food, plants, agriculture and others.
ICBO 2021 is currently being planned as a “blended” event, with a face to face meeting in Bozen-Bolzano, Italy, accompanied by live streaming and an option for virtual participation.
Direct to Journal Submissions:
21 April 2021 30 April 2021 (submit directly to the Journal of Biomedical Semantics ICBO Thematic Series)
Main Research Track Conference Submissions:
5 May 2021 19 May 2021 (submit via EasyChair, track “Main Research Track”, up to 12 pages)
Early Career Submissions:
26 May 2021 9 June 2021 (submit via EasyChair, track “Early Career Track”, up to 6 pages)
Posters and Flash Presentations Abstract Submissions:
16 June 2021 15 July 2021 (submit via EasyChair, track “Posters and Abstract Submissions Track”, up to 5 pages)
Conference: 15-18 September 2021
Call for Papers
The theme for the 2021 conference is Ontologies for Global Challenges. This includes:
- Ontologies relating to COVID-19
- Ontologies relating to the climate crisis and the UN’s sustainable development goals
- Ontologies overcoming barriers between basic research and translation
- Ontologies in support of mitigating the reproducibility crisis in scientific research
- Ontology as a tool for open science to reduce segregation of research results and improve access to the full body of knowledge across scientific disciplines, especially as applied to urgent topics such as the climate crisis
- Ontologies in practice across national boundaries, e.g. medical ontologies needing to serve international contexts
- Ontology in translation: ontologies supporting knowledge, data and applications in multiple languages
- Overcoming the practical boundaries of ontologies in integrated applications including data annotation, data integration, data science, machine learning and other artificial intelligence technologies
Submissions are particularly welcome that address aspects of this theme, but submissions outside of the theme are also welcome.
ICBO 2021 is soliciting submissions of novel (not previously published nor concurrently submitted) research papers in all areas of ontology design, development, evaluation and use, ontology interoperability, knowledge graphs, ontology-driven intelligent systems, ontologies for explainable AI, and the application of ontologies to biological and biomedical problems, across the full range of life sciences. In addition, we would like to invite contributions showcasing methods for ontology-based research, including statistical methods, tool support for ontologies and semantic technologies including for the annotation of data, visualisation, analysis, and related applications, and contributions addressing the challenges associated with working with multiple ontologies at the same time, including ontology alignment and matching. Submissions are welcome from a broad range of approaches to ontology building and use.
This year for the first time, in addition to the normal conference submissions ICBO is inviting submissions in a newly created direct to journal track in partnership with the Journal of Biomedical Semantics. Papers submitted to the ICBO thematic series at the Journal of Biomedical Semantics will be published immediately after acceptance and presented in the annual conference following acceptance. For this track, we suggest submission by the 30th April at the latest for full consideration for ICBO2021. However, as journal reviewing and revision times may vary, there is no guarantee that submissions received by the suggested deadline will have completed the reviewing process in advance of the conference, thus earlier submission is recommended. Articles should be submitted directly to the Journal of Biomedical Semantics following the journal submission guidelines.
The conference is also soliciting contributions to several conference tracks, for which the proceedings will be published with CEUR-WS as was done in previous years. The deadline for the submission of conference main research track papers (12 pages) is 12 May 2021, for early career submissions (short papers – 6 pages) is 26 May 2021, and for abstracts for posters and flash presentations (up to 5 pages) the deadline for submission is 15 July 2021. Contributions to the conference tracks should be submitted via EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=icbo2021) in PDF format following the CEUR-WS single column formatting guidelines found at http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-XXX/CEURART.zip
- The direct template download for Latex and MS Word is available here: http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-XXX/CEURART.zip
- There is also an Overleaf Template available here: https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/template-for-submissions-to-ceur-workshop-proceedings-ceur-ws-dot-org/hpvjjzhjxzjk
Contributions to the direct to journal track should follow the journal’s instructions available here: